If you are like me you really like avocados and guacamole, but do not necessarily like the amount of fat and calories that come along with it. I have the solution! You will never guess which vegetable I used to swap out the majority of the avocado and still have the texture and taste of an all avocado guacamole. Asparagus!! Can you believe it? Follow this simple recipe for your next guacamole craving, you will not be disappointed! I paired it up with Quest Nutrition Cheddar and Sour Cream chips to add some needed protein. You could also take a low carb tortilla and cut it into chips and bake until crispy to go along with it. Traditional guacamole recipes will cost you around 260 calories, 20 grams of fat and that does not include the chips you are eating it with. My recipe is about 30 calories and 1.5 grams of fat, now that’s what I am talking about!
- -1 1/2 cups trimmed and diced asparagus
- -3 TBSP fresh Pico de Gallo
- -1 tsp. fresh minced garlic
- -Salt and Pepper to taste
- -1 jalapeno - diced finely
- -1 TBSP fresh lime juice
- -1 handful of a bunch of cilantro
- -Dash of hot sauce (optional)
- -1/2 of 1/2 of an avocado
- Prepare your asparagus by trimming the ends and then cutting them into 1 inch pieces.
- Place in a steamer. If you do not have a steamer you can steam them on your stove top in a pan with water (about a cup or so) for 10 minutes.
- Place steamed asparagus in the fridge to cool and prep remaining ingredients
- Once cool (10-15 minutes) take your asparagus and puree in a Magic Bullet or food processor.
- Combine the pureed asparagus with the remaining ingredients and enjoy!