One thing I have really missed since I have been watching my sugar intake is BBQ sauce. The average BBQ sauce such as Sweet Baby Rays has 16 grams of sugar per 2 TBSP, um no thank you! I decided to go on a mission and make my own! Use this recipe for your sauce on the BBQ Chicken Quesadilla.
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Reduced Sugar Ketchup (Heinz)
- 3 TBSP Splenda
- 1 tsp salt
- Sprinkle of pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- onion and garlic powder to taste
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
Combine all ingredients and season to your liking. I feel like you can really enhance this to your taste and there are a lot of options. According to #MyFitnessPal for 12 servings, this is 5 calories per serving and virtually no sugar added.
So onto the recipe:
- -1 High Fiber - Low Carb Traditional Flour Tortilla (La Tortilla Factory)
- -1 wedge Laughing Cow Spicy Pepper Jack Cheese
- -2 oz. Grilled or baked Chicken Breast
- -1/8 of a cup of Reduced Fat Cheddar Jack Shredded Cheese
- -Sprinkle of Red Onion
- -Sprinkle of Cilantro
- -Drizzle of the Sugar Free BBQ sauce referenced earlier
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Start by cooking your chicken. I seared mine in a skillet and cooked until done.
- Dice up your red onion and cilantro.
- If you have a gas stove use your burner to char the tortilla on both sides. (Gives it good flavor). If you do not have a gas stove you can use your oven. Place tin foil on a baking sheet and cook on both side until the tortilla is more firm. Be careful and do not let it burn or get too hard.
- Spread the cheese wedge over the tortilla.
- Top with chicken, shredded cheese (a sprinkle really), red onion and drizzle some of your sauce over the top.
- Bake until melted, monitor this as every oven is different
- Top with cilantro, fold in half and cut into 2 pieces
For just 220 calories, 7.5 grams of fat and carbs, 24 grams of protein and only 2 grams of sugar, enjoy! Have a question or comment? I would love to hear from you, please comment below.